Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Vegan Whole Wheat Pancakes.

So this morning when I got back from a very short morning jog I was famished. And famished for only one thing - PANCAKES. You know what I'm talking about. Today was perfect for the little guys. I had just exercised, the air was a little humid and cloudy because of the storm coming in. Oh yeah baby.

Only one problem. Well several problems actually... I had no eggs... or butter... or vegetable oil.

VEGAN PANCAKES IT IS! I said. haha

And luckily I love experimenting with food so I was up for the adventure as always. Did the prospect of failure frighten me in any way? No. Way. This is the beauty in living on your own. If you cook something disgusting, you're the only one who knows and pays the consequences.
However, this time I wished more people were there, cause these bad boys were pheNOMenal.


Allrightie enough chat. Lets cut to the chase folks.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup good whole wheat flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup soymilk (i used vanilla flavored, but regular is fine)
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp honey

See! So easy! I had all of these on hand!


First, place a nonstick skillet on the stove over medium heat.

Then, mix all the dry ingredients together (flour-salt).






Today this involved opening my brand-new bag of whole wheat four. It was just so beautiful and innocent-looking, I had to take a picture.









Next add in the soy milk, water, and honey.












Finally, mix in the flaxseed. This stuff is so good for you! Flaxseed is low in carbohydrates and has tons of fiber to help you stay fuller longer.








Pour the delicious concoction on the skillet and wait until small bubbles start to appear in the batter. 







Flip!


Cook other side for about a 1-2 minutes more then place on separate plate. 










I was feeling adventurous today, as I have already stated and had some leftover pear in my fridge that had been wasting away since I used half of it yesterday. It needed to be put out of its misery. Soo I closed my eyes (not really though, don't do that, its a bad decision) and did the deed. I put the pear into beautiful cubes. He would have wanted it that way.













Now stir the cubes into the rest of the batter and pour the remaining batter onto the skillet. Repeat the flipping process.




Now you could stop there. You could be satisfied with your lovely little pancakes sitting there all happy and ready to be enjoyed. And thats fine. However, that's not what I chose. If you don't have syrup, like me, you can try to make your own using a simple syrup recipe. This is different from regular syrup (especially cause I put pumpkin in mine) as it is super sweet!



Pumpkin Honey Simple Syrup. 

For starters, I just want to explain a simple syrup. Its equal parts sugar and water heated over the stove until the sugar becomes gooey and some of the water evaporates. Its used in fruity drinks and cocktails a lot of the time. The important thing to remember is that you're going to get about half of the amount of water you start with. A key factor that in my absent-mindedness, I forgot.  So I only had a little but it sure was good. 

Here is what I recommend. 

Ingredients
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
3 tbsp honey. 








Mix water and sugar over medium heat in a small pot. Stir continuously and watch closely. Don't let the sugar start to brown! 








When the sugar-water begins to bubble, add in the pumpkin. 












When mixture has thickened to desired syrup consistency, remove from heat and stir in honey.










Pour over your pancakes and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment