Thursday, March 15, 2012

When Life Doesn't Give You Cauliflower... Make Curried Veggies!!!

Why, hello there. 
Oh is that you? Don't mind me, I'm just stirring away at delicious concoctions in my oversized button down.

 

Today, I was feeling an Indian vibe, which, if you know me, isn't that unusual. 
This recipe was supposed to be that of the lovely Aarti Sequiera as seen here. But the lovely cafeteria was not serving cauliflower today. Of course. 

After picking up the broken pieces of my Aloo Gobi dream, I moved on to other vegetables. 
I just grabbed a few basics for this recipe, which ended up being more along the lines of curried vegetables. But hey, it satisfied my Indian craving.

Quick and Easy Curried Vegetables

About 4 cups fresh veggies (I used carrots, broccoli, squash, mushrooms, and green beans)
1 tsp turmeric
3 tsp curry powder
3 tsp cumin
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp mustard seeds
Salt and pepper to tastey
1 cup of water, divided
2 tbsp olive oil
Bollywood Hits CD (essential)

To set the mood, turn up your favorite Bollywood or classical Indian music. 

Mix spices (except for mustard seeds) and 1/2 cup water in a small bowl to create your very own wet masala mix. Please add and subtract spices as you wish to maximize the tastiness to satisfy your personal palate. 


Warm the oil in a pot over medium heat until oil starts to move around a bit. GENTLY add in the mustard seeds. Be careful, if the oil is too hot they will explode all over the kitchen… I speak from experience. Though exciting, exploding, burnt mustard seeds are not exactly a crowd pleaser. 



Next, add the wet spice mix and cook until the oil starts to gather and bubble up a bit on the edges.    


See... PRETTY!!

Add the veggies and another ½ cup of water. Stir together until the veggies are coated evenly. Add more spices as needed.







Any questions? Fell free to email them to us on our "Ask Contessa" feature on the website (Not really though, we aren't that high-tech yet). But I look tech-savvy here next to my fancy laptop and popped collar, yes?
 Good. I'm glad you agree.







Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-25 minutes.    

TA-DAH! Your veggies are thoroughly cooked and delicious.

We are sari* to report that the veggies were devoured before they were photographed. My photographer and I were far too hungry and delirious to remember to take pictures before we devoured the evidence. If you would like to share your curried veggie photographs, feel free to post them below!


No comments:

Post a Comment